2012年3月27日星期二

anyone use a 3rd party product to load balance SQL Server?

I'm working on a project needing a high-end large mission critical database
solution. The data is in 1 database. So SQL 2000 doesn't support load
balancing, and neither will 2005. That sucks. Oracle supposedly does load
balancing and I can't understand why even SQL Server 2005 won't do it. So
either I go with an 8+ CPU SQL Server or consider a 3rd party load balancer
that will somehow (?) make it work so that multiple SQL brains can balance
the load of 1 single database that is presumably shared on 1 set of disks.
I'm finding very little information on load balancing SQL Server when
searching the net. Is there a product like Legato, for example, (I haven't
tried it) that will somehow give me load balancing with SQL Server?HK wrote:
> I'm working on a project needing a high-end large mission critical
> database solution. The data is in 1 database. So SQL 2000 doesn't
> support load balancing, and neither will 2005. That sucks. Oracle
> supposedly does load balancing and I can't understand why even SQL
> Server 2005 won't do it. So either I go with an 8+ CPU SQL Server or
> consider a 3rd party load balancer that will somehow (?) make it work
> so that multiple SQL brains can balance the load of 1 single database
> that is presumably shared on 1 set of disks.
> I'm finding very little information on load balancing SQL Server when
> searching the net. Is there a product like Legato, for example, (I
> haven't tried it) that will somehow give me load balancing with SQL
> Server?
You may want to take a look at Federated Database Servers on SQL Server
2000/2005 if that architecture will work for you.
--
David Gugick
Quest Software
www.imceda.com
www.quest.com|||"David Gugick" <david.gugick-nospam@.quest.com> wrote in message
news:uzLN8u5wFHA.3180@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> HK wrote:
> > I'm working on a project needing a high-end large mission critical
> > database solution. The data is in 1 database. So SQL 2000 doesn't
> > support load balancing, and neither will 2005. That sucks. Oracle
> > supposedly does load balancing and I can't understand why even SQL
> > Server 2005 won't do it. So either I go with an 8+ CPU SQL Server or
> > consider a 3rd party load balancer that will somehow (?) make it work
> > so that multiple SQL brains can balance the load of 1 single database
> > that is presumably shared on 1 set of disks.
> >
> > I'm finding very little information on load balancing SQL Server when
> > searching the net. Is there a product like Legato, for example, (I
> > haven't tried it) that will somehow give me load balancing with SQL
> > Server?
> You may want to take a look at Federated Database Servers on SQL Server
> 2000/2005 if that architecture will work for you.
> --
> David Gugick
> Quest Software
> www.imceda.com
> www.quest.com
>
Creating the partitioned views sounds very challenging for an already-in-use
DB that needs to be cut over in the middle of the night. Plus ongoing
maintenance. Maybe I'm missing the boat, but that's why I'd want to stay
away from federated databases.

没有评论:

发表评论