2012年3月25日星期日

anyone find being an sql admin boring?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone here finds being an sql admin somewhat
boring? I am just about to finish my current sql admin contract in a few
weeks. I've been doing sql administration since last year with a string of
contracts one after the other. I just seem to be backing up, restoring,
fixing replication problems, consolidating databases, designing backup
schemes etc all day long. I just find the work mundane and routine. I have
no problems getting the work done. I am thinking of getting back into my
previous role in comms. But actually im currently doing a masters of science
in IT and am finding application development loads of fun. I use to be a
c/c++/java programmer when i first finished uni. I guess I miss the
mathematics i studied at uni and am moving back towards development (i did a
degree in electronics engineering and a degree in mathematics). Maybe its
just IT in general that i find mundane and boring. Maybe i should go to
medical school. Or maybe IT has just made me somewhat depressed :P I seem to
be doing a lot of contemplating lately hehe. No wonder im also doing some
uni courses in psychology to self assess my situation lol
JCsounds like you might enjoy .net programming against databases instead,
using VB.NET or C#. It challenges more, and the logic of it is good. it's
more fun, too, than old c or C++ because the programming IDE is much cooler.
but if you're comparing against medical school, it sounds like you've got
some bigger macro issues to address. some people don't get excited about
any job. if you're excited about something and young enough to restart, go
with what excites you.
"j.clarke" <j.clarke@.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:9BGMb.7146$xm.336889@.nasal.pacific.net.au...
> Hi, I was just wondering if anyone here finds being an sql admin somewhat
> boring? I am just about to finish my current sql admin contract in a few
> weeks. I've been doing sql administration since last year with a string of
> contracts one after the other. I just seem to be backing up, restoring,
> fixing replication problems, consolidating databases, designing backup
> schemes etc all day long. I just find the work mundane and routine. I have
> no problems getting the work done. I am thinking of getting back into my
> previous role in comms. But actually im currently doing a masters of
science
> in IT and am finding application development loads of fun. I use to be a
> c/c++/java programmer when i first finished uni. I guess I miss the
> mathematics i studied at uni and am moving back towards development (i did
a
> degree in electronics engineering and a degree in mathematics). Maybe its
> just IT in general that i find mundane and boring. Maybe i should go to
> medical school. Or maybe IT has just made me somewhat depressed :P I seem
to
> be doing a lot of contemplating lately hehe. No wonder im also doing some
> uni courses in psychology to self assess my situation lol
> JC
>

没有评论:

发表评论